Iron Deficiency Anemia Icd 10:
Iron Deficiency Anemia Icd 10 – is one of the most common mineral deficiencies in the world
Iron deficiency icd 1o is one of the most common mineral deficiencies in the world. Iron (Fe) is a component of hemoglobin, myoglobin, and many enzymes in the body.
Heme iron, contained mainly in animal products, is absorbed much better than nonheme iron (eg, in plants and grains), which accounts for > 85% of iron in the average diet.
However, absorption of nonheme iron is increased when it is consumed with animal protein and vitamin C.
It may result from the following:
Inadequate iron intake, common in infants, adolescent girls, and pregnant women
Malabsorption (eg, celiac disease)
Chronic bleeding, including heavy menses and bleeding from GI lesions
Chronic bleeding due to colon cancer is a serious cause in middle-aged people and the elderly. When iron deficiency is advanced, microcytic anemia develops.
In addition to anemia, iron deficiency may cause pica (a craving for nonfoods) and spoon nails and is associated with restless leg syndrome.
Rarely, iron deficiency causes dysphagia(difficulty or discomfort in swallowing) due to postcricoid esophageal web.
Involves CBC, serum ferritin and iron levels, and possibly measurement of transferrin saturation (iron-binding capacity).
In deficiency states, iron and ferritin levels tend to be low, and iron-binding capacity tends to be high.
Treatment for Iron Deficency:
All people with moderate or severe iron deficiency and some people with mild deficiency require iron supplementation.
- Fe Rich Foods-DV- 18 mg
- Dark green leafy vegetables ,Like kale,broccoli, Brussel sprouts-100 gm- 3.6mg , sun dried tomatoes- 1 cup -4.9mg
- Beans and Pulses -100 gm 3.7 mg ,soybeans 100 gm 8.8 mg whole grains 100 gm- 2 mg, Chickpeas 1 cup 5 mg
- Fortified cereals 100gm-24 mg ,Dry fruits- (Prunes, raisins,Dried apricots- (28 gm) 2 mg, Rice flakes 100 gm -10 mg ,
- Seeds-,Pumpkin seeds (28 gm)-4 mg- , Sunflower seeds, 1 cup -7.4 mg ,Sesame seed 1 cup-20 mg
- Non Vegetarian sources are, Liver 100 gm 23 mg,beef & Lamb 100 gm-3.7 mg
- other rich sources are – ,fish, Egg, Dairy products tofu, dark chocolate.Peanut Butter
- Vitamin C: Necessary for iron absorption
- VItamin C rich foods fruits orange, grapefruit, lime, and lemon are excellent sources of vitamin C.: Papaya, strawberries, pineapple, kiwi fruit, cantaloupe, and raspberries are also excellent vitamin C sources.